Join Chef Brian Polcyn and writer-author Michael Ruhlman in a two-day boot camp all about the pig—from whole-hog butchery all the way down to the finer points of pâtés. Honoring the pig and honoring the ancient craft of charcuterie is their passion. Chef Polcyn is a two-time best-selling author, restaurateur, and teacher. Michael Ruhlman is the author of more than two dozen books and has worked with many legendary chefs in their kitchens. Together, Polcyn and Ruhlman have teamed up to share their charcuterie knowledge, techniques, tips, recipes, and more.
In this two-day class, you’ll learn:
- ½ hog breakdown using European seam butchery techniques for salumi cuts
- ½ hog breakdown using USDA-style cuts
- Lectures and discussions, plus full demonstrations using all resulting cuts from the hog breakdown, including sausage making, pâtés en terrine, and working with offal
- In-depth discussion and demo of salumi curing, smoking, and drying
- How to utilize cuts for food cost strategies
- Tastings and discussions of all products produced in class, plus dinner with the instructors
Note: For each course, the instructors procure a heritage hog to promote local farmers. Saving heritage breeds and the small American family farm is one of their primary missions.